Tuesday 29 June 2010

An Indian returns rupees....must be a first!!!

Tuesday 29th June booked into hotel. After checking the room, negotiating the price was in need of a good recovery sleep so as to enjoy the Ajanta caves this morning.
Dream on!!!!!! I specifically asked for a quiet room, and was assured that the room was very quiet.

We ate supper in a shack next to the hotel, and retired to our room. At about 10.30 p.m I could hear through the paper thin walls a number of roudy indians had moved in for the night. At 12.30 in the morning I knocked on their door and politely asked them to lower the volumne, but to little effect.

At 5 o'clock in the morning the noise of laughing, clearing their throats at full volumne started again. I went on the balcony, and saw one indian asleep, and others half dressed. I was not happy!!! after no more than a few hours sleep. When I explained how I felt about their total inconsideration one of them just smiled. Well briefly.....packed up our items, went downstairs and complained in no uncertain terms to the manager??????, and demanded my money back. Result being that he wasn't too enthusiastic about returning 500 rupee.

What do you do in this situation when you are tired? Answer, grab his official hotel registration book; lock it in your bag,and walk. That's what I did, and within seconds he was on the phone to his boss as I was heading for a rickshaw before 7 in the morning. Result being, two minutes later he is running behind me waving 500 rupees begging me to return his book. Problem resolved!!!!!
If you hard with indians they back down everytime, and one of the best pieces of advice I can give someone coming to India for the first time is simple. Whether you are asked or not, then tell everyone that you have been to India 5 times before. Their response is the same 'you have a lot of experience', and hence you immediately increase your negotiating power, and their respect.

So now in a nice hotel (government run) near the little shopping complex where you can hear the birds, and incredibly the view looks just the same as the hills around Saint Sozy.......Oh, I feel a little home sick.

No comments:

Post a Comment