Wednesday 24 February 2010


Introduction:

So why? That's the question. and during this adventure I hope I will find the answer to many unanswered questions. Yes, it will be an adventure ; a journey in the true sense of discovering a country, discovering it's culture; it's people. Yes, I will be shocked by the poverty, amazed and enlightened by my travels and experiences in the coming months ahead. A real challenge in more ways than I can possibly imagine at present. This will be more than a journey, and in every sense whether you hate India, or love India one thing is certain; you will never be the same person. That appeals to me.

So yes, there is the challenge of discovering a new country, but that will only be half the story. For me the real journey will be the journey of self discovery, to learn about oneself ; to learn what makes me tick, and as this blog develops I will try and answer the 'Why' question through my entries. It won't be an easy task : though I feel that the mental journey will at times be possibly a greater challenge than the journey itself.

The question has to be. Why do people travel? What are they in search of?, and of course ; what are they escaping from ? and I am no different from anyone else, but only time will hopefully provide some answers.
The time is well overdue for me to 'kick start' the brain, to wake up, and try and put life into some form of perspective.To escape the materalistic culture that we live in today. Where people have lost the 'we' attitude, but are more interested in the 'me' attitude. Where the latest plasma television, or model of car holds more importance than building family relationships. It's a now or never adventure, and my time has arrived. So this 'double' voyage will start in Delhi at the beginning of May 2010, and the physical journey is planned to finish in April 2011. Yes, a rough plan of routes is under way, but plans often change, and flexibility will be the name of the game. This adventure is 'planned' for a year, and therefore will bear little resemblance to a Tourist Holiday. Yes, I will visit some Tourist hotspots, but the idea is to see the real India. To get off the beaten track ; to dress and live as an Indian...............to discover, and to communicate the best I can with people less fortunate than myself.

It has been difficult to jot down my initial thoughts for this journey, but hopefully those of you who read, and follow this adventure will now have a clearer understanding of my reasoning for the 'journeys' that await me ahead. On my return I will hold a photo exhibition of my travels to share at least some images of the misery and beauty of the Indian Subcontinent.






So will I find what I am searching for ? Do I really know what I am really searching for ? but real travelling is not a hurried affair. Yes, it's an escape, an opportunity to develope and learn, and to really think about a mulitude of thoughts, and to reflect. Am I searching for my Arcadia ? maybe a clearer vision......that's for sure.



No comments:

Post a Comment