Sunday 28 February 2010

Travel Guides and Forum. Essential planning.

Two essential Travel Guides, Lonely Planet, and Rough Guide. Both excellent, and a must have.
But don't just rely on the guide books though. Lonely Planet's 'Thorn Tree forum' is an excellent, and uptodate travel forum platform for like minded travellers. Ask any question, however stupid, and you'll guaranteed a reply. Have just spent a few hours reading traveller's queries, and noting down the important information, and tips. Here's a good example: 'I have been told by my hotel here in Kolkata that I can't buy my Toy Train tickets to Darjeeling in Kolkata'. Can anyone help me?

Response a few minutes later. 'Log on to irctc.co.in and book tickets. Train No 1D departs 9am from New Jalpaiguri and reaches Darjeeling 4.15pm. Costs approx' 247 INR. A very scenic journey, a UNESCO world heritage site. Breathtaking. Enjoy the journey!

Fantastic!!!! I will be using this forum a lot over the coming weeks for those extra 'first hand' experiences, and advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment