Friday 26 February 2010

Preconceptions.

Initial thoughts of India.


What are my initial impressions of India? I have never been to the Indian Subcontinent. So what will I expect? and what will the reality be? So as I start the 'planning stage' of this journey I feel I must make a list of both the positive and negative . For sure it is easier to draw up a list of negative preconceptions than positive ones. So let's think positive to start with.
Diversity of people, encounters, the differing landscapes, climate/monsoon, colour; smells, food, history, monuments, cheap, markets etc.....
On the negative side. Poverty, medical/hygiene concerns, water, overcrowded cities, slums, transport, distances, security, visa problems etc....
Have now purchased travel guides. The 'Rough Guide to India', and 'Lonely Planet India', and a large detailed map of India is well and truly pasted on the wall. Of course the internet will be a valuable source of information; as well as registering on the 'Lonley Planet forum' - Thorn Tree forum, where you can seek advice from fellow travellers.
In anycase, I don't believe for a minute that you can really prepare for what you will see and experience in India, but a certain amount of basic research will go along way, and basics have to be covered. Next week I start my course of vaccinations, Hepatitis A, Yellow fever, Tetnus, Polio etc...that should be fun!
Ok, leaving in May. Not the best time with the monsoon arriving in June/July, so will start in the North. Why not Delhi? and take it from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment