Wednesday 19 May 2010

A bumpy ride to Kashmir



Monday 17th arrived a Jammu railway station. No jeep outside as arranged, and in need of a hot cup of chai tea; (an aquired taste from Delhi) to collect thoughts and work out Plan B. Within minutes of finding my morning brew was acosted by several beggars. I have now become harder, and ignore..engage in conversation or stop, and your wallet will be a few rupees lighter.
Half an hour later after recovering from the journey I found the jeep station and managed to get a shared jeep to Srinagar. First quote given was 3500 rupees, but negotiated the journey for 500. Maybe I could have got it for 300...who knows.
Soon after leaving the almost militarised town I realised that this was going to be one bumpy ride. The roads were in the same league as the non-exsistent pavements of Delhi, and yes, we were truly squashed in the back. Nine on board for a 7 to 8 hour ride. This did not bode well; at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment