Thursday 13 May 2010

Tim gone native......Monkey mosque visited



So why dress like this?
This is not the best time to visit India, but this is not a quick visit. May and June here in Delhi are hot, and hot means hot; even for the Indians here. Daytime temperature is around 45 degrees centigrade, and as I write these words (11.30 p.m) the temperature is around 40 degrees. I was worried that I couldn.t take this heat before I arrived, but with lots of water; and Massala tea sold by street sellers for 20 rupees; I feel good. In the photo I have a face mask for two reasons , one being the dust, and the other for the foul odour in back streets.
These cotton clothes are perfect for these temperatures, and I wash them most evenings now; as by the end of the day after rickshaw journeys, and exploring back streets they don't stay clean for long.

Dressed like this I have only received compliments on the street. They feel touched for a better word that I have welcomed their culture. There is also the added advantage that I am less hassled by the street children begging for a rupee.

My rickshaw driver even took me to the Monkey mosque where 'priest' painted the traditional coloured spot on my forehead.

No comments:

Post a Comment