Friday 14 May 2010

Lost in Delhi




Earlier this afternoon I managed to get lost for an hour of so in the maze of back streets. These narrow streets tend to be no more than 4 metres wide. What with dogs, motorbikes hundreds of people with their goods infront of their shack type shops.....easily done.
Some streets are cobblers or general shoe shops; others solely mechanical part shops, or even material shops. You have to have a good memory which one you have just walked down to find your bearings. After returning up a few familar streets; I was completely confused, and lost. I ended up flicking back through my camera to find a street scene with a landmark on it that I then showed to people to aid my way back. After 5 or so requests for aid someone kindly pointed me in the right direction.

But you learn the hard way. This evening I went to find a shop that sold salt. Within 30 minutes again I found myself lost; and I mean lost. At night, with all the dust, the continual noise; the fear of falling in a ditch, or being hit by rickshaws, cars etc I was more concerned. Another concern was the possibility of treading on a dog, and suffering the consequences.(I missed one by a few inches) The heat, pollution, and complete disorientation is a real test. Like other Indians I found myself spitting to clear my dry throat from the dust. I don't want to exagerate, but you have to be really careful. The strange thing is that as you are so occupied with what's immediately around you, you don't have the slightest concerns about being robbed. I guess everyone is so concentrated (of course in a more relaxed way than me), that danger doesn't enter your mind.

Well found my way back, sweating and covered in dust:::::::this time lesson learned!!!
Tomorrow is another day. Please Tim don't get lost.
I will try and attach a small video clip to give you some idea what it's like in the streets at night

No comments:

Post a Comment