Thursday 13 May 2010

Early arrival in New Delhi




No shops open in the airport, and no scared cows, and no rupees. What now?
But what a feeling to be here, and thankfully feeling not too tired and eager to get outside. Collected luggage, and more than relieved to see my rather squashed possessions appear on the belt.

I found a small bank office about to open,and as I approached I was waved to another window by a money changer. This is how it's going to be from now on: eveyone is out for your business. Nevertheless I went to the bank, and changed euros for rupees, but of course was only given 1000 rupee notes. In India you must have small notes...10's, 5's. Just as I was leaving the airport I was handed a bottle of water (bottled water), immediately checked the cap was secure, and hadn't been re-filled with tap water. No, it was Ok, what a nice welcome to India I thought. Wrong......the kind offer was then withdrawn......and money was demanded. Welcome to India.
Outside the airport; rickshaws and taxis were everywhere, and after collecting my thoughts took a taxi into Delhi, of course after negotiating the price....;400 rupees.

The journey took about 20 minutes, and what a first impression as the sun was rising, and the poor appeared from their shelters by the road side. I must say from my experiences so far that the Indians here in Delhi are friendly and open; and they are interested in your plans, and not just for financial reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment